The term “phobia” refers to overwhelming and debilitating fear of a certain object, situation, place etc. It’s a psychological condition and kind of anxiety disorder. Whenever the person comes in contact with the source of phobia, it triggers fear, anxiety and panic attacks. Phobias are quite common but not everyone has it. Here are some mind-blowing and surprising facts about phobias you probably didn’t known before.
What is a phobia in psychology?As per the American psychiatric Association, fear is natural and usual response to perceived and real danger. Phobia is excessive and irrational fear to a danger, thing, situation, place etc. People may have different phobic reactions. Phobias affect people of all ages. According to the American Psychiatric Institute for Research and Education (APIRE), about 7.8% of American adults have phobias in any given year. Phobias are categorized into two kinds; specific or simple phobias and complex phobias.
Top 9 mind-blowing and interesting facts about phobias!
1. Phobia and fear are two different things!You should not confuse phobia with fear. For instance, if someone is standing at extreme height, it’s natural to be afraid. However, if someone has Acrophobia – fear of heights, his/her reaction is not something normal. Phobia is overwhelming fear, anxiety and panic attacks. If the person has this phobia, he/she will do literally anything to avoid this situation. And if by chance, he is stuck in such situation, the reaction will be overwhelming and debilitating.
2. Adults are more likely to have Complex phobias!Complex phobias are more common in adults. These are often associated with a deep-rooted fear or past trauma. Most common kinds of complex phobias are: Agoraphobia – the fear of being in a place or situation from where you wouldn’t be able to escape Social phobia – commonly known as social anxiety disorder; in which the person feels anxious in social situations
3. Phobias are linked to genetics!Usually, a phobia is because of past trauma or particular stressful incident. However, that’s not the only reasons. Surprisingly, genetics play significant role in the development of phobia. Another surprising fact about phobia! You may “learn” certain kind of phobia from a parent or sibling.
4. There are more than 400 types of phobias!You may be familiar with a few of common phobias. To my surprise, there are more than 400 known types of phobias. However, some are more prevalent than others.
5. Some most common types of phobias!Most common kinds of Phobias are:
- Acrophobia – fear of heights
- Aviophobia – fear of flying
- Claustrophobia – fear of closed spaces
- Arachnophobia – fear of spiders
- Ophidiophobia - fear of snakes
- Cynophobia - fear of dogs
- Trypanophobia – fear of needles
- Mysophobia – fear of germs
6. There are phobias that didn’t exist before!Another of interesting facts about phobias! There are phobias that originated recent. For instance, nomophobia – the fear of not having your mobile phone on you. Of course, nobody had this phobia before the invention of mobile phones. Study shows that people of age below 30, tend to check their phones at least once every 10 minutes (about 96 times a day). Therefore, when you are this much indulged in your smart phone, it’s obvious to have phobia of not having your phone.
7. Some weird types of phobias!
- Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia – the phobia of long words. Even reading this 15 syllabus long word is difficult. Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia is one of the weirdest kinds of phobia, in which the person feel anxious when it comes to read long words.
- Anatidaephobia – the consistent fear that a duck is watching you whatever you are doing
- Turophobia – the fear of cheese
- Caligynephobia – the fear of beautiful women
- Phobophobia – the phobia of having a phobia
- Cibophobia – fear of food and drinks! Absolutely weird!