The Eiffel Tower or “La Tour Eiffel”, as the French call it, is one of the iconic monument and major tourist attraction. Located on the Champ de Mars in Paris, France, the Eiffel Tower was built in 1889. This historic masterpiece was designed and built as the entrance arch to celebrate the 1889’s World's Fair. It was meant to commemorate the centennial of the French Revolution. Furthermore, it was to show France’s modern mechanical competence to the world. Here are some exciting and interesting facts about Eiffel tower that you probably didn’t know before!!
14 mind-blowing and interesting facts about Eiffel tower!!
1. About this iconic monument!Eiffel tower was expected to be 985 feet (300 meters) tall. However, it final height ended up to be 1050 feet (320 meters). The gigantic project was completed in two years, two months and five days, from 1887 to 1889. Of course, this project required lot of man power and material. Interestingly, more than 18,000 labors participated in its construction and it used approximately 2.5 million rivets, 7,500 tons of iron and 40 tons of paint. Its French name is “La Tour Eiffel” and it is also nicknamed as “La dame de fer” meaning “the iron lady”.
2. A committee protested against the Eiffel tower, declaring it “useless and monstrous”!!When the tower was being built, a committee of 300 members protested against it. The members signed a petition and sent to the Parisian government. As per the petition, the Tower was “useless and monstrous”. However, their protest went in vain.
3. Eiffel Tower was designed to be wind-resistant!!Despite its soaring height, the Eiffel Tower is wind-resistant. It sways just a few inches in the wind.
4. It was supposed to be demolished after 20 years!!Eiffel tower was built to celebrate the centennial of Russian revolution in 188. It was started in 1887 and mission accomplished in time. The tower was an immediate hit. The Russians succeeded to show off their industrial competence and skills. Then, they decided to demolish it after 20 years. Luckily, the architecture company ingeniously set a radio antenna and wireless telegraph transmitter in the Tower. Thus, the government realized it was quite useful and thus decided not to demolish.
5. This was not Gustave Eiffel who designed the tower!!Many believe that Gustave Eiffel designed this iconic tower. But that’s not the fact. Eiffel himself did not design it. However, it was his construction firm named “Compagnie des Établissements Eiffel” that designed and completed this project. Two engineers of his company, Maurice Koechlin and Émile Nouguier were the masterminds behind Eiffel tower. Eiffel was, however, was the designer of the famous “Statue of Liberty” spine.
6. Name of 72 engineers, mathematicians and experts are engraved on tower!!To acknowledge and honor the contributions of engineers, mathematicians and experts, their names have been engraved on Eiffel tower. A total of 72 names are carved on one side of this tower.
7. The tower was an immediate hit!!Soon after the completion of Eiffel tower in 1889, it became huge success for it soaring height and intricate architecture. China, Las Vegas, Greece, and Japan also emulated Eiffel tower. Since 1889, it has been visited by more than 300 million people. Still, it welcomes almost seven million visitors annually.
8. Eiffel tower was the world’s tallest building for 41 years!!For about 41 years, Eiffel tower remained world’s tallest building before the record was surpassed by the Chrysler Building in New York. The record was surpassed afterwards and now Dubai’s Burj khalifa is currently the tallest building since 2010. It is whooping 828 meters high (2717 feet) and it has been classified as megatall.
9. Eiffel tower is painted every seven years to maintain its beauty and splendor!!Considering the fact that Eiffel tower is made up of iron and metals, it is prone to rusting. Therefore, it is painted very seven years to protect it from rust and to maintain its elegance. You will be amazed to know that all the work is done manually. It requires about sixty tons of paint. The paint is completed in about eighteen months.
10. Fun fact –Eiffel Tower grows in summer!!Due to the fact the iron and all other metals expand when temperature is high, Eiffel tower also expands in summer. Temperature may change the height of tower as much as 15 - 17 centimeters (approximately 6-7 inches). Similarly, it shrinks extremely cold weather by roughly 6 inches. How incredible is this!!
11. Once there was a military bunker underneath the Eiffel tower!!Another of interesting facts about Eiffel tower!! There is a secret military bunker that apparently connects to the nearby Ecole Militaire through a long tunnel. Now, the bunker has now been converted into a small museum for tourists. Also Read: Interesting facts about beaches
12. Eiffel tower was used for world’s largest advertisement!!The famous French car manufacturer Citroen holds the Guinness World Record for longest advertisement. And for this amazing advertisement, Eiffel tower was used as a giant billboard between the years of 1925 and 1934. Citroen Company’s name was displayed on the tower using approximately 250,000 light bulbs. Incredible!
13. Hitler ordered to demolish the Eiffel tower!!When the Germans took over Paris, the military closed the tower for general public. The Nazi soldiers tried to attach a swastika at the top. The swastika symbol was so big that it got blown away. Then, they replaced it with a smaller one. In 1944, Hitler ordered to demolish the tower during World War II. However, his general refused to comply.
14. There is a bar at the top of tower!!If you are brave enough to reach on the top of tower, you can enjoy a glass of champagne with a spectacular view. These were some of amazing and interesting facts about Eiffel tower. Stay tuned for more interesting facts. . Pictures courtesy: